Saturday, February 8, 2020

So... Thailand (part 4) temples & night markets

WAT to do in Chiang Mai for a day? Lots!
(see more of my temple photos at roymauritsen.com)


Sunday... i headed out to enjoy the city. I had no map, no agenda, just a full day to wander. As I mentioned in my other post.. I have very good direction sense, all I need is a few landmarks to get my bearings and I'm good. I think it's okay to get a little "lost" when exploring. So with cameras in hand, off I went.

The temples are amazing. And there are so many of them. the architecture and detail are amazing, the grounds are tranquil, once you step through the threshold from city street it's instant peace. There are some rules when visiting temples, so always be respectful. It's commonplace to take off one's shoes and leave them outside (in NYC they would probably get stolen.) and wear respectful clothing that covers shoulders and knees, being the most basic. I'm not a really religious person, but I am always respectful of other's religions. Whatever your religious beliefs are, these temples are truly beautiful.















Then by 4pm on Sunday... the streets start to get a little crowded as vendors begin to set up shop.


The same streets that I had walked that day, full of cars and trucks, scooters and tuk-tuks were filled with crowds of people later that night.


I loved these night markets!


 Hey look... elephants! A little foreshadowing for the week ahead. 
Even some of the temples would be open at night, allowing vendors to set up there as well. Mainly huge food courts.





The Three Kings Monument
Musicians would take up space in the streets to play.

These guys were rather creative about it.

All sorts of performances were going on!

This guy... this guy was awesome!

A didgeridoo band in Thailand? This is TUKU and they were so amazing I bought their CD on the spot!


More on TUKU here:

After wandering all day and night.. it was time to get ready, for the next day I would be among the elephants!

Coming next: a week volunteering at elephant nature park! 


No comments:

So... Thailand (part 1)

I went to Thailand. (It was awesome !) I had always wanted an opportunity to get up close with elephants. Being on safari in ...