Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Do you "practice pack"?


This is about over packing.

There's a bunch of videos and blogs on the internet about efficient packing tips and tricks out there.
This probably isn't going to be one of them.

This is about over packing. I'm really good at over-packing for trips. I pack for "just in case" and I'll do the "extra day of clothes". It comes second nature to me almost. My trips tend to require a bit of gear, and a variety of clothing. So this "overpacking" may not hold true for everyone.

 I "practice pack". Practice packing kinda started off as a joke. I'll start packing for a trip about a week or 10 ten days before a trip. I need time to figure out what I am going to bring. I'd hate to find out the night before a big trip that things don't fit, or that my luggage is overweight or If I need to bring a different suitcase. Or I forget that one thing. I don't need any last minute surprises.

My wife on the other hand, is totally opposite. Barely two days before a 14 day trip she only just started figuring out what to bring. She only just opened her new suitcases. 2 days BEFORE she leaves.
How do people live like this?

In my defense, I'm the guy that's going to be bringing cameras with me on just about any trip.
I'll typically bring a main camera like a DSLR. AND I'll also bring my 360 camera and at least one or more gopro's (I have 5 to choose from). Which also means packing extra batteries, chargers, cables, cases, possibly tripods  or other accessories depending on the type of trip;  also a laptop and external hard drive. If there's diving or snorkeling involved, then there's underwater camera accessories, and dive gear basics like masks, fins etc.
And I haven't even gotten to packing clothes yet! Most of the important camera gear travels with me in a carry on.
hard case carry on for camera gear and my checked bag. Not pictured is a small carry on backpack.

So I guess you can see why I practice pack. But there's some good reason to do. It allows me to get that urge to over pack out of the way. I'll pack everything I will think I need for a trip. Then I can start eliminating what I really don't need. And I do try to scale back on things, really I do. I tend to bring a lot of contingency things along- I don't rely on my destinations to have what I may need. Rarely will I use on site laundry services- I have done it though; on cruises laundry service is rather expensive and if I'm staying in other countries, I am not confident that water and local detergents won't be an issue or that I will "lose" some clothing in the process. I'll also bring any OTC meds I think I might need rather than relying on local stores to have something of questionable equivalence- if at all.

While I'm practice packing, if there's any thing i realize I need to bring along, I'll take care of immediately, rather than trying to remember later or creating a long last minute packing list. If there are things I can pack right a way, I'll just leave them packed. Doing a practice pack a week or so before the trip, give me time to wash it, and also this gives me time to adjust or buy something that I may need.  PRO TIP: my toiletries bag is redundant with it's own toothbrush, deodorant and stuff. so I can just grab and go without forgetting to bring anything.  PRO TIP: it gets restocked AFTER I get back and then put away for next time.)

I use those compression bags- Not the attach to vacuum ones, but the roll up ones. This way you don't need a vacuum or have to pack a pump to bring along.   These work great for stuff that can get wrinkled, like socks and sleepwear. and I do believe it does save space. But where it really comes in handy is on the return trip as i can then just compress any used clothing for the trip home.
(PRO TIP: bring a scented garbage bag with for keeping any dirty laundry separate and to help offset any smell. Bonus: it helps keep the rest of your packed clothes smelling good too. Yes, you can also compress the dirty clothes bag  in your compression bag too. Another  PRO TIP: use tea bags as deodorizers for sneakers or other shoes. They are small, and cheap and work great... just don't use them for making tea afterwards.)

Be aware of your overpacking tendencies. Embrace the practice pack!
(Here's another PRO TIP: Always leave yourself room for bringing back a few souvenirs!)

No comments:

So... Thailand (part 1)

I went to Thailand. (It was awesome !) I had always wanted an opportunity to get up close with elephants. Being on safari in ...